The NVF and the Lifeline for Vets™ – 888-777-4443 – have helped countless American heroes — person-to-person, Veteran-to-Veteran.
- 1 What to say to someone who is a Veteran?
- 2 What should you not say to a Veteran?
- 3 What are some Veteran words?
- 4 What do you say to a veteran today?
- 5 What do you say to a veteran besides thank you?
- 6 What is the best thing to say to a veteran?
- 7 What should you not say to a veteran with PTSD?
- 8 Is it OK to say Semper Fi?
- 9 What are some patriotic words?
- 10 How do you say OK in military?
- 11 What do soldiers say before battle?
- 12 How do you honor a veteran?
- 13 How do you respond to Happy Veterans Day?
- 14 Is it appropriate to say thank you for your service?
What to say to someone who is a Veteran?
There are no words to express how grateful I am to all of our Veterans. Thank you for all you have done! Thank you for the sacrifice you made so that we can enjoy this beautiful thing called “freedom”. Thank you to all who served and continue to serve this amazingly complex country we are all so fortunate to call home.
What should you not say to a Veteran?
10 Things You Should Never Say to a Veteran
- “I bet you’re so happy to be back.”
- “We can’t thank you enough.”
- “Are you going to be a police officer now or something?”
- “So did you kill anyone?”
- “What are you guys doing over there?”
- “I don’t support war.”
- “What’s the worst thing you saw over there?”
What are some Veteran words?
What do you say to a veteran today?
To all the veterans out there… we salute you! Thank you for your service and sacrifice! Thank you to all members of our military, in all branches, past and present, living and dead. On this day, we honor all current and former members of the Armed Services.
What do you say to a veteran besides thank you?
Here are a few ways to consider doing so.
- ‘You’re my hero. ‘
- ‘I have my freedoms because of you. ‘
- ‘Your service made it possible for all of us to be the country we are today. ‘
- ‘Thinking of you today.
- ‘We miss you at home, but we know you’re giving the ultimate sacrifice.
What is the best thing to say to a veteran?
How to Say ‘Happy Veterans Day’ to a Veteran In-Person
- “Thank you so much for serving our country the way you did. I am proud to be your friend/daughter/cousin/etc.
- Patriotic flowers.
- Invite them over.
- Donate to a vet organization in their name.
- Ask them to share their stories.
What should you not say to a veteran with PTSD?
What Not to Say
- Don’t ask if they’ve killed anyone.
- Don’t tread too gently around vets because you assume everyone has experienced trauma.
- Don’t ask them to put difficult experiences behind them.
- Don’t snap — even if they snap.
- Don’t describe their experience for them.
- Ask before throwing a welcome-home party.
Is it OK to say Semper Fi?
It isn’t inappropriate; it’s just weird. The only people I know who say Semper Fi are other Marine veterans, so it very much becomes a signal that that other person in the conversation is one. When other people use the term, it isn’t wrong, it just sends the wrong message.
What are some patriotic words?
- Bold Stripes, Bright Stars, Brave Hearts.
- Don’t Tread On Me.
- Freedom’s Calling.
- Home of the Brave.
- Land That I Love.
- Let Freedom Ring.
- My Country Tis of Thee Sweet Land of Liberty.
- Proud and True the Red, White and Blue.
How do you say OK in military?
1.) “OK,” “Understood,” and “ Yes, sir/ma’am” are all acceptable replacements for this military phrase. The general public will understand what you mean if you do slip up, but it is not a common saying among civilians. We recommend you steer clear of it.
What do soldiers say before battle?
Hooah /ˈh uːɑː/ is a battle cry used by soldiers in the U.S. Army, airmen in the U.S. Air Force, and guardians in the U.S. Space Force.
How do you honor a veteran?
Ways to Honor A Veteran
- Attend a Veteran’s Day event.
- Ask a Veteran about their time in the military, and really listen to the answer.
- Hang a flag in your yard.
- Ask an aging Veteran to share with you the song that most takes them back.
- Visit the gravesite of a Veteran.
How do you respond to Happy Veterans Day?
12 Proper Responses to ‘Thank You for Your Service’
- Jump ahead to these sections:
- “I’m glad you’re proud of me. Your opinion means a lot.”
- “I couldn’t do it without you.”
- “You don’t have to thank me, but I appreciate the sentiment.”
- “Thank you for saying that.
- “It was my honor.”
- “Thank you.
- “I was fortunate to do so.
Is it appropriate to say thank you for your service?
Acknowledge Veterans for their service by saying a simple: “ Thank you for your service.” Whether that’s on Facebook, a text message, a phone call, a letter, or an in-person greeting, a basic acknowledgment can go a long way. Veteran organizations are always looking for volunteers.